Water on the front axle

I took off my front tire today (9400 miles) for the first time to
replace it and had water on the front axle. Major crud (and smelled bad
too).It will definately need brillo padded off.  It is coming in the
speedometer housing end (as that also was rusty and wet looking).  I am
taking it to my Triumph dealer today to look at, but was wondering if
anyone else had this when they replaced their front tires.  I looked at
the FAQ and searched the archives but didn't see any posting about it.

Sherry