ST4, ST, K1200RS comparo

Thompson requested opinions on the above bikes.  I have ridden the ST4
and the K1200RS (as well as the ST obviously) and can give you a fairly
unbiased opinion of them all with my limited experience on the Duc and
BMW.  I like my ST but I do not come from the school of thought that it
does everything perfect.  Putting on the flame retardant suit now....

ST4:  The sportiest of the bunch.  Suspension is well sorted for sport
touring and sport riding.  Engine is more "peaky" then you would expect
especially for a twin but lots-o-power when you get to it.  You will
exercise the gearbox the most of these three bikes.  100mph feels like
130mph.  It does not hide the speed very well as it has the least amount
of wind protection and seemed less stable.  Reliability = questionable,
I've heard horror stories on longevity of engine.  Maintenance is
expensive when you get to the valve adjustment.

K1200RS:  Rock friggin solid at HIGH speed.  Pulls like a freight train
wether loaded up or not- it doesn't seem to know the difference.  This
is by far the most stable bike I have ever ridden at 130-140 mph.  It
feels like it is on rails with no upset whatsoever, all the while giving
nice wind protection.  I did not get the chance to thrash it in the
tight twisties, but I get the impression that it might be a bit of a
handful although not unmanageable.  Governed at 155mph (why?) it still
has plenty left in the tach.  There's gotta be a wire to cut some where?
Major flaw is its piss poor fuel economy- 30mpg when you're not floggin
it.  Reliability I would guess is excellent but I don't know.  Haven't
heard any horror stories about this one.  Shaft drive is a definite plus
for touring.  Interestingly, the engine at idle sounds like the
Trumpet's gear whine.

ST: right in the middle of the above two bikes.

If you do a lot of triple digit speed touring, you will be most
comfortable on the BMW, hands down.  If you want cutting edge
sport-ability, take the Duc although the ST will be right up its ass.
If you want the best of both worlds- the ST is the only choice,
especially at its bargain basement price (relatively speaking).
If you still can't decide, buy 'em all. 8^O

Jonathan West
99 ST
98 Sprint Sport
97 Trophy 3