Re: Oil warning light

At 05:21 AM 3/1/00 -0500, Greg Girard wrote:
>I'm no mechanic, but it would not be a strech to the speculate that the
>little oil-level detector widgit in the engine is on the fritz,

That should be a "pressure" sender, I think, rather than oil level.

 Transducers like that
>are usually the most suspect element in any detection system.

Agreed.

As
far as water in the electrics, it would seem odd to me that this would
*cause* the connection necessary to turn the light on rather than cause it
malfunction by not coming on when it should through creation of a short
circuit or broken/corroded connection.

The oil pressure sender will be a "normally closed" switch. Oil pressure
"opens" the switch, turning out the light. A short to ground in the sender
circuit will turn the light on.

Deadly had a similar problem on the Oregon coast last year. Water in the
lighting switch caused a short that turned on both filaments in the
headlight at the same time - lots of light, but it didn't do the battery
any good...

Hope this helps,

Robert Smith - Freelance Writer
'96 Sprint "Deadly" for sale