They are truly blind who will not see.

I'd like to say, Amen, at this point.  I, too, ride in one of the more
congested urban areas of the country.  A year ago last month I was taken out
by a bug wit making a left turn from the oncoming lane.  (See description at
http://www.msgroup.org/Contrary/NEG010.html.)  The only thing I would add to
what Matt has written is my sincere belief that, when possible, having more
visible (read "bigger vehicle") traffic to your right increases your margin
of safety.  This gives the left-turning driver something to see and keeps
those on the right-hand side streets at bay.

Crash (ouch!)