Re: 17 tooth front cog

If they would have given a little more space between 5th and 6th, I think I'd definately do the same.  Curious, were you able to utilize the same chain?   Possible disadvantage:...the range of chain adjustment will be narrowed, thus maybe having to replace the chain sooner when the max adjustment is reached on the eccentric.  Do you know if you can get a set of sprokets, 1 tooth away from stock on both sprokets instead of having to loose 2 teeth from the drive sproket only, or will this not work for some reason...?  I may look into this when chain replacement time comes around, as matching a new chain with new sprokets is highly recommended.  I would bet the a la mono is a bit easier with your new ratios.  My '99 ST wants to lift the front much easier when on a smaller diameter of the rear (ie leaned over in a turn, when I would rather be on two wheels!!!)

>>> "Soosalu, Grant" <soosalug@xxxxxxx> 03/09 2:41 PM >>>
For those who are interested in such things.... I've just had the 19 tooth
front sprocket replaced with a 17 tooth baby on my '00 ST and the
acceleration is much crisper! It's also much more "torquee" away from the
lights (ie. don't need as much revs). Of course the top speed and fuel
consumption will probably both suffer by approx. 2/19 ie. ~10%, however I'm
not too fussed about this. I'd much rather have better acceleration since I
rarely ride over 200km/h anyway... (not to mention she now pulls mono's much
more readily :-))