Re: Fatality stats

Neil - At 08:10 10/03/2000 -0000, you wrote:

>As an addition to the debate about using/not using high beam or other
>lights...
>
>I started riding bikes in London in fairly narrow streets with a lot of
>parked cars.  I decided after a couple of people had nearly pulled out of
>side roads in front of me that the colour of my helmet (white) was more
>important than having my lights on - partly because the lights on my first
>bike were rubbish, but mainly because the helmet is the only thing visible
>above the line of parked cars as you come up to a junction.  The moving
>white helmet catches drivers' eyes before they have moved far enough past
>the parked cars to see the bike's lights.  Dayglo would be good too, but
>colours such as blue or red don't stand out against a jumble of different
>colours of parked cars.

I also adopted this stance, however I purchased a bright yellow helmet.
When the Highway Code suggested riders wearing white helmets and the usual
press backlash appeared for fear of insurance companies enforcing this
suggestion I remember reading a statement from some proffesor saying if the
Government wanted to dictate a helmet colour it should have been yellow as
this is the most natural colour to the eye. Hence my choice.

Keith W Peters
Wrexham. UK

'Cymraeg Dawg & Long Tail'