Racing

Brands Hatch March 12th.

Second outing for Andi at Brands, this time in the new MRO series for
Powerbikes. Basically an open formula, which does'nt help much as we
are running in the Super Stock class. A good quality field was entered
for the meeting, with several 750 British Superbikes, in our garage
was Steve Marks with his R7, drooled over that until I was told that
the radiator cost 5,000.00uk! Heck the 595 we were racing didn't cost
that much to buy. Steve's sponsor is actually one of our customers, and
he was telling me a bit about the R7 and its running costs, which sort
of put me off wanting one. They seem to cover a hole in the ground where
you pour money was the summary.
Anyway back to the day. In untimed practise Andi seemed to be going well
and judging from some of lap boards was doing rather well. Pity though
it was untimed, in the timed session he could not seem to get going and
really struggled not matching his times from last weekend. He ended up
21st on row 6, which is not where we and he wanted to be, although half
a second would have moved him up to about row three, so it was all quite
tight.
>From the start of the race he made good progress and slotted into 16th,
the two front runner were Steve on the R7 and Richard Defago on a 750
Kawaker, and they were having a really good race, Richard was also in the
same garage as us. As the race progress Andi started picking off a few more
and although the race was stopped on the penultimate lap he was probably
as high up as we could have expected in 13th spot. The good news was that
during the race he managed to get his times down by nearly a second,
which pleased us all. The confidence in the bike seems to be coming as well,
he has started to drag the footrests on the deck, which is no mean
achievement, since they are back and up quite a fair way.
The next outing is again at Brands where he will at last be racing in the
class intended. Still the 595 is doing OK, it's a couple of years old
now and having only raced it a couple of times Andi is making progress.
Ever hopeful of the TT600, which we may be seeing next week fingers and
everything else crossed.

TTFN

Steve.