TIRES

Hi there STERS

More on tire milage.  When we left on holiday, I looked at the rear tire and
foud it was ok. I didnt notice it  being squard off, and that is something I
look for.  The tires on the old Triumphs I ride(k70 Ching Shin), square off
fairly quickly, and I get about 3000miles on a rear tire.  Most of this
milage is in the twisties, and on various back roads.
When I noticed the cord showing, I noticed that the rubber on the tire was
"crumbling" (for lack of a better discription).  The tire was also wearing
unevenly.  It has a "low spot" right in the center of the tread, with high
spots next to it.  I have never seen a tire wear like this, so I need to
find out whats happening.  I think that I may have needed more air pressure
to deal with the loading, but being inexperienced with modern tires I need
input from those of you who have more experience in this area.  When the
rubber "crunbles", is this a result of heat? overloading? both?
Well I ordered a Bridgestone BT 57 to replace it, but I am going to try
Dunlops (204"s?)  when the front and rear tires wear out.
For all you STers out there who are thinking about the hard panniers vs the
softie throw overs, buy the hard ones.  There is nothing like them.  When
they are on the ST you dont know they are there.  A full face helmet will
fit inside them.  We packed enough stuff for a 3 day vacation, and had room
to spare.  Plus they are great looking.
Does anyone else develop sore legs?  The muscles behind my knees becomes
sore after about 45min in the saddle.  This fills me with dismay, because
the Big Red Triumph is the best motorcycle I have ever ridden.  If anyone
has a similiar problem, and overcame it, let me know what you did.

Regards
Burt, &
Big Red