Dead Batteries=Sleepy Head? & Stock Exhaust Query

Hi Folks:

I am trying to come to terms with 2 battery failures I've had on my '99 ST
(7800km on the odometer).

Methinks I have just not understood the controls properly, but I need to
check.

So, here it is:

(1) A few months ago . . parked my bike for a few hours, locked the
ignition, came back, battery was dead (this is prior to the slight rewiring
the shop did for the headlights so that both would come on when I turned on
the headlights). I was pretty sure I didn't put it into 'parking light'
mode, but you never know. Anyway, the shop replaced the battery under
warranty as they said some of the new gel cells fail once in a while.

(2) This last week-end . . . rode down the Great Ocean Road, after about 3
hours, stopped for the evening. Pulled into the motel, hit the kill switch.
Took my tankbag off . . . put it in the room . . . and (idiot) left my key
in the ignition overnight. Now, the key was in the 'on' position but the
engine kill switch was in the 'kill' position. I'm guessing that even though
all the lights were off (including all 'dash' lights), some connection was
engaged to drain the battery. Luckily, had a jump start (couldn't push start
the bastard even in 4th or 5th gear) from some nice ambulance guys, and ran
the bike in for about 6 hours that day. Battery works fine now . . . put a
multimeter across it the other day when not running and it read 13.5 V or
something like that. It's now 3 days later.

Any ideas?? Coincidence/bad luck/not thinking?

Now, onto the stock exhaust:

I wanna replace it . . . been thinking carbon fibre Triumph. Any reasons why
I shouldn't (I read some of the posts Triumph better than Staintune re:
welding etc.)?? Also, I'd like to polish up my stock exhaust--it's got some
minor semi-superficial scratches on it (when my s.o. backed into it with her
RAV 4 and knocked it over). . . is there some way to (professionally) buff
it up to its origina shiny mirror-like finish?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Best regards,

Peter