Re: Bike weave..

>I had the suspensions setting on the Triumph standard settings except for
>the rear pre-load, which I had increased by 2 clicks. The tyre pressures
>had been checked and set to the recommended by Triumph prior to the trip.
>
>>From the more experienced riders out there, are there any comments on what
>could have caused this weave?

Sounds like a high speed wobble to me. Even though it may have felt like it
was the rear wobbling, it was probably the front. At speed the aerodynamic
lift on the fairing combined with the extra weight in the rear can unload
the front end enough that a bump or even the tread can cause the front end
to start oscillating. If you happen to be at the right speed that the
oscillation hits a natural frequency, it starts wobbling out of control
until you find yourself in a tank slapper, and ultimately, flying through
the air. Not the recommended way to dismount from a motorcycle.

When you first feel a high speed wobble, back of the gas, (don't hit the
brakes), lean forward, and loosen your grip on the bars (easier said than
done).

I experienced one high speed wobble back when I owned my Yamaha 850
Venturer, which had a full fairing and saddlebags. Once along the coast at
about 85mph with a strong head/side wind it started wobbling. Fortunately I
already knew what to do and stopped it before it got out of control.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com