Fork Paint

>Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:50:16 -0500
>From: "Bird, Garry" <BIRD@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Fork stress???

>I was looking at my forks in preparation of disassembling them to install
>new springs and valving when I noticed that the paint on the front of the
>fork is looking really wrinkled.  This wrinkling is right in line and
>parallel with the axle on the leg that has the pinch bolts in the front so
>am concerned.  There is no evidence of this (wrinkly paint) anywhere else
on
>the fork.  The paint looks like new except in this area.  I have a friend
>with an 'ST' who has this same problem(?).  His showed up last year.  I
>checked mine at that time and everything was perfect...no wrinkles.  The
>dealer has an inquiry in with Triumph but no reply as of yet.  I am
>wondering what would cause the paint to go goofy right in this specific
>area.  My only thoughts are that the fork might be stressing out at that
>point.  Anybody have any insight on this?  I don't want to start a
>panic...just looking for an answer.

>Garry Bird
>bird@xxxxxxx

Gary, I noticed the same wrinkled paint on my fork.  To me it just looks
like the fork was painted before assembly, then after the pinch bolts are
tightend the paint then eventually gets the tiny cracks/wrinkles.  It is
inline with the axle and the fork lower will flex a little after the pinch
bolts are torqued down.
Scott