Re: Sprint vs.Trophy

Dear Todd,

We run both Sprint STs & Trophys as part of our fleet as a motorcycle tour
company. I will suggest going with the Sprint. All our guests love the
Sprint including most passengers. It is a modern machine that handles very
well, has a great powerband and can be ridden rather aggressively. I
personally like the way the fairing works on the Sprint in that you get good
protection from the shoulders down but you get a clean (no buffeting) blast
of air from the shoulders up. The Trophy offers more protection but because
it tries to protect the whole rider, some of our guests notice some
buffeting around the helmet. Comfort wise, its close but I still like the
Sprint better. I enjoy a slight lean forward as it keeps my back straight
when I'm riding. I find with bikes that let you sit bolt up-right, it is
easy to slouch after a few hundred miles which puts pressure on the back.
Unless you are very tall, love a completely up-right riding position and
travel two-up most of the time, the Sprint is a better bike.

As far as reliability is concerned we are very happy with both bikes. Our
only problem with the Sprints has been the fuel gauges which aren't very
accurate (now changed) and the warranty support we've had on all the Triumph
bikes has been great. I also think you'll get a better resale value with the
Sprint. (Over the Trophy and the Suzuki). The fuel injection is wonderful,
especially if you have to store your bike in the winter: Change the oil, add
some fuel & stabilizer, put the battery on a trickle and you're done. I find
carbureted bikes often need the carbs cleaned or adjusted after the winter
(even if you drain the bowls).

Another plus for the Sprint is the fact that if you are a decent rider,
you'll have little trouble keeping up to the guys on the serious sport-only
bikes. You'd have to be Mick Doohan to keep up in the twisties on a Trophy.

Mike Ciebien
Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Holidays
www.rockymtnmoto.com