RE: Heat, howling

> My guess is that the extra heat is coming from the exhaust. The
> service manual mentions that there is a catalyst in there on the
> California models, and cats run really hot.

Interesting. I tend not to mess w/pollution gear, but this may change my
mind. I'll also investigate ceramic-coating the exhaust. Might be worth it
to get a few of us together and do it...

> 1/3 of the gauge is pretty hot. Mine only gets that high when I
> have been slipping the clutch a lot (i.e. a bunch of low-speed
> work) and sitting at lights. Normal is about 1-1/2 needle widths
> above the second-from-the-bottom tick mark.

Actually, your description is closer to accurate. Even lanesplitting today
(70F) didn't get above that, but my right thigh and crotch were well past
toasty.

> That sounds like it alright. The howl is the fuel pump - it's
> mounted to the metal plate in the right side of the tank.

Hmmmm. Matt replaced the fuel pump already, is the pressure regulator
separate or a part of it?

Marc D