RE: screws, tyres and rear brake

Penick, Stephen <penick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> No, I haven't really had a chance to look at it.  It started doing
> this last night.  I felt around the rotor, but I can't say that I
> noticed anything.  I will admit that I'm one of those that would
> rather be riding than maintaining or cleaning.  Is there any technique
> you can suggest for checking the pads for wear?

    I think you should be able to do it with a small mirror, otherwise
it looks like a wheel-out job.

> If it requires disassembly, then I may just have the dealer look into
> it when I have the rear tyre replaced in a week or so.

> How long do you figure these pads last?

    I went onto my third set at the 18,000 mile service, so 8,000 miles
for a set seems feasible.  My theory is that because the back brake
works, I tend to use it and so wear out brake pads.

> I thought there was someone else on the list that had problems with
> their rear brake, was that you, Jim?

    The only real problem I've had was that after cleaning the front
calipers, the back brake felt useless!

    All the best,

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_            Sorry for any carp formatting.  Sending
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___  this from a borrowed PC.
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                         -- Neil Ronketti

End of st-digest V2000 #120