Re: shifting tips

From: David Arnett <DArnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Here are a few things that I have found that improve shifting (other than
mileage).

> 1. preload shift lever before actuating the clutch.
> 2. try to match rpm with bike speed and desired gear.  a high rpm 'first',
then letting the revs drop to 'idle' with the clutch in almost makes getting
into 'second' impossible.
> 3. when stopping from high speed, start downshifting before you come to a
stop.  once again, playing the throttle while doing this helps.
> 4. when stopped with the clutch in and in neutral, sometimes the tranny
will not go into first.  If so, let the clutch out to get the tranny
spinning, then pull the clutch back in and immediatly put it in 'first'.

> Some of these things are obvious, and I apologize for being 'basic', but
they may ease pain for newcomers with new bikes.

For fast up shifts I preload the gear lever, drop the revs for a split
second and it's into the next gear. Even saves on clutch cable wear :-)

Regards, Ian
Kent, England