Re: shifting tips

Jim Huber wrote:

>         Yep, good advice IMO. All of these things have worked for me.
> Unfortunately, I had to figure them out for myself. The only thing I'd add is
> to get the rpm up. I don't shift 1st -> 2nd at any less than 3,500 rpm, which
> drops it to about 2,500 in 2nd. Even that's really too low for most occasions.
> Typically I go up into the 4k range so that I'll be above 3k in 2nd.

The problem with the ST is that it has so much torque at low rpm there is a
tendency to run it at low rpm's and short shift. This "babying" of the bike may not
bet the best thing. It is quite easy to run in town in 1st up to 8k rpm with out
problem. In fact this may help with the seating of the valves and smooth running
not to mention decreased break wear due to the engine breaking of off throttle.
Typically you should use 80% of the available rpm's available on a regular basis.
This in no way compromises the bike and in fact promotes better operation. Usually
the redline is some percentage of the true max for safety sake. So even an occasion
visit to it is advisable.

Face it, this bike has too many gears :) On the interstate it is very common to
find one's self forgetting to use 6th.

This bike is not a HD but it sure pulls like one and loves the upper revs.

Neil ('99 "Shadow")