Re: SS1000 to the rally?

Jim:

WWW.ironbutt.com

FWIW, I don't think that this will be too difficult - just don't rush.
Am also unfamiliar with your riding style or how long you ride etc.  I'm
a weekend warrior and usually ride anywhere from 50-200 miles.  Usually
one or two 1000+ trips each year.  Average mileage is about 4500 a year
for me.  I rode an unofficial SS1000 from Virginia to Texas (didn't know
of the SS1000 and was actually trying to stop in Memphis!.....July 4th
weekend - no rooms available).  Until this season, I put 35,000 miles on
a VX800 which is a very upright bike.  I just bought a new-to-me VFR a
few weeks ago, and will be doing the SS1000 on that, and Blake Sobiloff
on his ST around April 23.  I think that the VFR is very comparable to
an ST, although it is not as refined as your bikes. Your ST's have a
more comfortable riding position and probably a smoother engine - but
generally, the riding position and performance should be comparable.
Along that line - if you check the finishers of an SS1000 - NOT TOO MANY
VFR'S have completed an SS1000.  Mostly Goldwings, ST1100's and larger
touring bikes.  You might be the first ST to do it this
century....unless Blake beats you to it!

Here's some "not so obvious" tips that I received from friends who have
ridden the SS1000 and inspired me to try; as well as long distance
riding tips I've picked up over the years:

*****Don't rush.
**DON'T ride on your wrists - you'll not make it past 600 miles - try to
make a conscious effort to distribute the weight on your legs and lower
back.
*Get a throttle lock of some sort.
*Your knees and hips will ache first...!  Stretch at each gas stop.
*Drink water.
*Take time to rest.
*Chew gum.
*Get most of your mileage done asap - (we're planning to leave at 3 a.m.
and should have knocked out 500 miles by 11:30 a.m.)
*Don't waste time.
*SS1000 should be "stand on your head" easy within 20 hours (average of
50 mph - plenty of time for breaks etc.)
*My main concern is going to be boredom on the highway.
*Earplugs, sunglasses.
*Fake sheepskin (circulates air under your 6, and prevents butt burn)
*Drink water
*A wet bandana acts like A/C in the Texas sun, and will prevent a
sunburned neck (remember at 2 pm you'll still be riding another 8 hours
before you're through)

Contact me offlist if you want to talk SS1000 - don't mean to bore
everyone (particularly since I'm only an ST wannabe)  ;-)

Robb
Robb@xxxxxxxxxxx