ChatterBox FRS report

I was hoping to give a full report today on how the ChatterBox FRS
communications units performed this weekend for our family ride.
However one of the units was found to be defective so we were only able
to test the rider-to-pillion intercom feature.

My wife (SWMBO) and I both took turns with the one working ChatterBox.
Our children also swapped back and forth between the two bikes, so we
all had a chance with the unit.

SWMBO wears an open-face helmet with a visor.  The rest of us wear
full-face helmets (HJC CL-12) which have the nice feature of having
small pockets in the liner designed to take the ChatterBox speakers
(ChatterBox is made by HJC).  The ChatterBox FRS comes in either
full-face model with a microphone that velcroes to the chin piece or in
an open-face model with a boom mike covered with a wind pop protector.

The pillion intercom connects to the ChatterBox via a coiled cord and
uses the same design mike and speakers as come with the main unit --
both full-face and open-face kits are available.

Although the ChatterBox can use either VOX (voice operated transmission)
or PTT (push-to-talk) the PTT is only useful for solo operation -- a
pillion can't talk unless the rider pushes the button.  I know some
would consider this a beneficial feature, but our children would not
have been too happy!

The ChatterBox can also take input from an external source such as a CD
player, however we have not tried this.  Voice transmission is supposed
to override the music, muting it while someone is talking.  On a very
long trip (to the rallye?) I might be tempted to try this, but I've
never found the lack of tunes to bother me.

So how well did it work? I found it to be excellent.  Although I had to
adjust the VOX sensitivity a number of times as my speed or the strong
cross-winds we experienced changed, I had no trouble hearing or making
myself heard at speeds of up to 70mph.  The conditions, mainly traffic,
prevented experimenting with higher speeds.  The adjustments, both VOX
sensitivity and volume, were easily made at speed while wearing gloves.

The children indicated that the intercom made the ride much more
enjoyable and talked non-stop.  Good thing the intercom is full duplex
so you can talk to your passenger at the same time they are talking to
you! :-)

Once the sensitivity was adjusted for the conditions, I found the VOX
circuit worked well.  It keeps the circuit open briefly after you stop
talking which gives the other person a chance to start without the
circuit kicking in-and-out all the time.

BTW, if you aren't used to VOX it can be a bit awkward at first.  You
quickly get in the habbit of drawing out the first syllable of the first
thing you say to give the unit time to click in.  The ChatterBox is not
unique in this behavior.

SWMBO had some complaints about the sound quality, but we think it might
be due the the speaker placement in her helmet.  Unlike the CL-12, her
open-face helmet doesn't have speaker pockets.  Instead, the speakers
are held in with velcro.  They may not be as well aligned with her ear
as in the other helmets.  We will be experimenting with the placement to
attempt to improve the sound quality.

The two units, two extra headsets and two intercom extension cords with
tax were a bit under $500.  Were they worth it? I won't be able to say
for certain until we have two working units (just swapped the faulty one
at lunch time) and can try the bike-to-bike capability as well.
However, if it works as well as the intercom, and if we can solve
SWMBO's sound problem, then I'd say yes, they were well worth it.

When we have everything working I'll post a followup.  Maybe after next
weekend.

P.S.  My experience in riding sweeper (tail) for a large group (26)
suggests that something like the ChatterBox FRS between the lead and
tail riders, if not others, is at least a darned good idea and verges on
necessity.  Something to think about for the Rallye.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"
- --
New Year's Resolution: SaddleSore 1000 (tm) or bust!
                       http://www.ironbutt.com