Re: hiking pack

Justen
I always carry a rucksack with me on the bike, even though I have the
panniers. It's force of habit.
Over the years, I have found that anything bigger than the normal-sized ones
is too large and cumbersome, as well as heavy, to do any long distance in.
I have tried touring abroad on rented bikes with larger (Interrail type)
rucksacks with a frame. Although the frame and waist-belt make them more
comfortable, secure and ergonomically correct, your back soon begins to
notice them, as they don't quite rest on the seat or luggage rack. So my
advice is to stick to something you'd be happy carrying around all day if
you were walking (as opposed to something you'd be happy to lug to the
airport and relieved to see on the luggage belt after all the airport
walking was over).
These days you can get rucksacks that go down to the back of your knees, and
you certainly wouldn't and shouldn't want to wear one of those on the bike -
just think of the pressure you're putting on your back - extra strain on top
of the normal bending and trying to retain some sort of decent posture!

Tim