Re: for Thomas - son on pillion

On Wed, 3 May 2000, don draper wrote:

>  Dear Thomas;
>
>  >>> I have seen a few gentlemen taking their small children for
> rides, once or twice with the child sitting in their lap with cheap
> helmets on. The only thoughts that I have are that even in a low
> speed accident the child will get crushed by the father, or get
> thrown through the air with only a poor fitting cheap helmet to
> protect his/her head/neck.<<<
>
>     I was certainly never guilty of THAT, Thomas! When my first four

I was not pointing anyone out, sorry if I offended you. I am mearly
suggesting that if the child is young enough that you are worried
about him or her being able to hold on safely, then maybe they
should not be there on the bike on the street.

> kids were little (in the 1950s) nobody had ever seen a helmet wearing
> street rider (although racers wore what looked like football
> helmets).
> Even if somebody had thought of it, there was no place to buy one.
>
>     By the time they were "old enough to be able to make a conscious
> decision based on the risks" they'd already been riding home made
> mini-
> bikes with lawn mower engines for a few years, so it was too late.

And yes, my children will most likely have small dirt bikes as
well, but they will be much slower than a ST and not be on a city
street or HWY.

And I am jealeous, the only thing my parents let me do is jump my
bicycle. I did not get a motorized two wheeler until I was 30 years
old. I lived a sad youth

Thomas