Re: gas mileage

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Neil Lindsey wrote:

> FWIW -- the octane rating of the gasoline you use does not affect your
> mileage -- it affects the way the motor runs and feels.  About the only
> argument against this is that if you're using lower octane fuel you might be
> inclined to be on the throttle harder in an effort to compensate for a bit
> less power, which could, I suppose, lower your mileage a bit -- I think this
> aspect is negligible however

I do not know if this is correct or not, but if you are running
with gas with not enough octane for your engine, you might be
getting pre-detonation, and thus your engine is not running as
efficiently, thus requiring more gas for that same speed or
acceleration. But then again that could just be comericial hype,
as "Your on your way" is going through my head right now :-)

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664