Re: ST on the track (longish)

Martin Fay writes:
 >      Jim,
 >
 >      On a recent track day I found the brakes to be excellent, as ever, for
 >      the entire 5 hour session. There wasn't a hint of mushiness or fade.

    Hmmm.  I forget, is yours a 1999 or 2000 model?  Mine's a 1999 and
the brakes always go mushy after a few days - there's still loads of
power, they just lack initial bite.  They seem to deteriorate to a
certain point and then stay there.  Cleaning the calipers helps a
lot.

 >      As for acceleration, I had a great dice with a Fireblade for a
 >      few laps and found that the ST was matching the Honda for
 >      acceleration out of the slower corners.

    Midrange - don't you just love it? :-)

 >      There just wasn't enough power to haul past. I eventually got
 >      around his ouside on a sweeping bend and was feeling rather
 >      good about it until a guy on a Husky supermotard went around
 >      my ouside, leg oustretched and rear wheel spinning
 >      sideways. Madddd!

    Dontcha hate that!  A friend of mine races in SuperMoto and he's a
complete nutter!

 > Jim wrote:
 > 2. But I did have an interesting wear pattern [...]
 >
 >      It sounds like you were running off the edge of the tyre in
 >      the corners but I would have expected the pegs and perhaps the
 >      bellypan to touch down first. I was scraping the pegs on the
 >      track and still had a few mils of thread left on the the Avon
 >      RZR.

    I've gone to the edges of tyres before and not seen this, although
they've mainly been BT56/57 in the past.

 >      However the avon has a less V shaped profile than the Metzler
 >      which may make a difference.

    Wouldn't that make a difference the other way?  My head hurts.

 > Jim wrote:
 > 5. Pushing the engine hard causes some oil to blow past the clutch
 > rod seal.  I've noticed this before on the road, but it was worse
 > on the track.  Is this just something I'll have to live with, or
 > can it be fixed properly?
 >
 >      I've thrashed the living daylights out of the ST on the track
 >      and have never seen this happen. I suspect the seal may be on
 >      the way out and replacement should cure the issue.

    Another thing on the list...

 >      Then again, perhaps I wasn't going as hard as I thought.

    I hit the rev limiter for the first time last Friday.  I was
maintaining upward pressure on the gear lever and >snick< next gear,
thank you :-)

    Thanks for the feedback,

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_               I don't have the time or the fridge
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Richard Moore