Re: st-digest V2000 #210

I'm 5'11.5", and my experience of the Triumph flip-up screen (which I fitted
for the winter and have taken off again until next winter) is that it is
infinitely more protective of the upper body when it gets cold, and keeps
the rain off me when I'm making progress in the wet as well. There's an
amusing effect with the airflow that means the wind completely clears your
visor of rain by blowing the droplets down instead of up or to the sides at
any speed over 60 or 70 mph...

The trade-off for this protection are the dubious aesthetics, the slightly
greater susceptibility to crosswinds, and as you mention, wind hitting the
helmet and making a damned-awful racket. Note that I have found no buffeting
of my head, or indeed any other negative consequence apart from the
horrendous noise at high speeds, in a couple of different lids. From this I
deduce it's a clean, steady flow of air in a consistent direction. The noise
is easily dealt with by good ear-plugs, at which point the high screen
actually makes the bike great all-weather all-season transport.

Last October I was  really glad that I had had it fitted. Last week I
swapped it back and am equally glad that I did now that the sun has arrived.

Ken Haylock - Sprint ST - MAG #93160

                               _    _
                    .oooO     / )  ( \     Oooo.
                      \_)   .oooO  Oooo.   (_/