Re: Re: handling

Hi Eric,

I guess I can try to elaborate...

When entering a corner one countersteers the
motorcycle i.e. you push on one of the clip-ons (or handle
bars).

Different motorcycles react differently to this input.
Some turn in slow some fast.  That's all fine.

However, It is also possible to give the motorcycle other inputs
at the same time  ie. applying the front or rear brakes with
some degree of force.

Some people (like me) sometimes use the brakes when
entering a corner.  Some bikes (like my old FZR400) react
to this combination of inputs with slightly quicker steering
(ahhh)...  with other bikes the  steering slows down (blah) to
an extreme where the bike resists the steering input and tries to return to verticle (yuck).

Now consider this hypothetical yet realistic scenario.
You are entering a tight turn and you establish at the
entry to the corner that your speed is _way_ to fast for
whatever reason (nude sun-bather by the side of the road,
decreasing radius turn, debris on the road, cop, whatever).

You need to scrub some speed off.  There are options.
Of course, the only thing brakes are good for is slowing
you down, right.  So, why not try those? Right.

If you can get your braking over before you need to turn
there are no further complicatons.  If not, you need to
brake while starting the turn...

Lets say you put on the front binders and bikes stands up a little
as you apply them, this will cause you to go a bit wider
in the turn which may motivatee you to apply more braking
which stands the bike up even more.  An uncomfortable series
of events to say the least....

What I like is neutral or slightly quickened steering under
front braking which allows me to brake while turning into a
corner then trailing the brakes off before the apex. At the
apex I roll back on the throttle.  This is what I want my
ST to accept.

I hope that is clear. :^)

Regards,
Robert

P.S. Rick if I get it sorted, I will be sure to share the
recipe with my ST colleagues.

ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> At 08:57 PM 5/7/00 -0400, Robert Smith wrote:>Still working on the handling of the ST.  Has
>anyone addressed the bike standing up under braking?

Can you explain in more detail what you are referring to ?

- - Eric