re: SS1000

>  From: "William A. Flowers" <waflowers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 05/08/2000
15:24:
>  ... SWMBO hasn't been at all happy at the idea of my doing a long, solo
ride.
>  ... added to my not having done a SS1000 yet.

FWIW, the only reason I'm not doing an SS1000 to the rallye is that I don't
want to wear myself out getting there and then not enjoy the rallye itself. The
bike is reliable enough, to be sure. With good weather and light enough
traffic, why not?

>  She keeps suggesting I find someone to do it with, or at least ride along
with part way.

That's not bad advice, either, though. If something catastrophic were to
happen, you'd have help handy. There's also no reason you couldn't have a chase
car if you can't talk another motorcyclist into it, though it'd be awfully
boring in a car.
	I think checking in by phone at fuel stops every couple of hundred
miles is sufficient. If you don't check in, a call from her to the highway
patrol to look for you along your route would probably get you help within an
hour or two, which is plenty quick for most emergencies. Although you're not
technically "missing" in most states for at least 24 hours, a brief explanation
of the situation would most likely persuade them to at least look. It'd look
awfully bad for them to have been informed and then something bad happen to you
while they were remiss in their duty.

FWIW,

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"