RE: Outranked by Major Engine Damage

At 09:08 PM 5/12/2000 -0700, Rick Damiani wrote:
>I'll do that. Pro-Italia seems to think it threw a rod, but at the
>speed I was going (5500 RPM in 6th) a thrown rod would have poked a
>hole in the crankcase and/or locked the engine up solid enough to skid
>the rear wheel. The (likely) resulting high-side would have been a bit
>painful...

Naw.  I packed a primary drive chain on a Norton 850 once, and siezed
a Yamaha YD-3 many many years ago.  It is amazing how fast your clutch
hand reaction is.  You use the clutch more often than the brake, after
all, and the pull-the-clutch reaction is so fast it is almost involuntary.
In both cases I was at highway speed, two up, and the sieze came on with
no advance warning.  Skidded the back tire for a fraction of a second
before clutch release and coast to a stop.  The passenger didn't even
notice what happened and wanted to know why we were stopping.

The Yamaha started up again once it had cooled down, and ran fine for
years afterwards.  The Norton did not blow the primary cover off, it
just needed a mew primary drive chain, which was skillfully applied
by the folks at MCC, who are now my friendly neighborhood Triumph dealer.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx