Re: Helmet locks

At 09:09 PM 5/12/00 +0100, colin.spencer@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Helmet locks....If you look under the seat at the bar that has two nuts
>that hold the rear mudguard, underneath it there are two pieces of metal
>(one either side) that form a hook. If enough helmet strap is threaded
>through these and the seat locked, the helmet is thus locked. Could this
>be the missing helmet locks ?

I think you would need an awfully long helmet strap to go in there. The
problem that then creates is that helmet thieves care little about straps -
many a rider has come back to their bike to find the strap secured to the
bike.... but no helmet attached to the strap......

I have a really nice underseat helmet lock prototype that would secure your
helmet through the chin guard. Unfortunately to really make it effective
you would need to move the seat lock (like I did). As I didn't see that
many people would be willing to do this over putting it in their pannier, I
just dropped the whole thing.

- - Eric