Re: Damage estimate

At 12:46 PM 5/15/2000 -0400, Eric Sheley wrote:
>At 02:28 PM 5/14/00 -0700, Blake Sobiloff wrote:
>>
>>So what's the record for the shortest distance/time between new bike
>>purchase and first crash?  My to-remain-nameless ride partner might have
>>set a new record this weekend.  2 hours, 20 miles on a new and beautiful
>>Sprint ST.  I felt almost as bad as he did.
>
>Someone told me last year of a speed triple that went down just around the corner from the dealer. It was way too much for the rider and it just got away from him - quickly. I believe he destroyed the oil cooler which wasn't available at the time....... how much does that suck ?

Yeah, back when the Kawi 500 Mach III came out, we saw one wrecked at the
dealer in Denver, CO right after they had come out.  The fellow who bought
it totaled it on the first throttle application.  The torque curve on that
thing came on really strong when it hit RPM.  Another guy flipped it on
the highway when he dropped a gear and snapped it open to pass, according
to the dealer.  My roommate in grad school had one (and a 250 Yamaha factory
racer and a 125 cc drag bike) in 1975, and everyone but him who he had ever
let ride it went down on it by flipping it over.  I opted out and never rode
it, so never went over on it.  Nasty machine.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx