Backfire when starting cold

Yesterday morning and again today, when I fired up my '99 ST, it didn't want
to fire up.  The engine turned over several times, and backfired three times
before actually starting.  Yesterday was the first time the bike didn't just
fire right up.  It was in last week for the 500 mile (800 km) service, but I
did ride it after that with no starting problems.  I also had it in Friday
for the hard bag installation, which means the exahust would have been
moved.  Once the bike was warm, starting wasn't a problem.  Any suggestions?

BTW - My local former dealer is blowing out Triumphs at invoice as they have
dropped the line. I got my sprint for 8750k USD with hard bags installed,
they have another black one on the floor if anyone is interested.  It's a
demo with 500 km on it, and I believe the price is 11,500 cdn, or 7700 US.
They also have '94 and '99 Speed Triples, 2 '99 daytonas (1 used, 1 new), a
'99 Trophy and a '97 Adventurer.  If you are on the east coast and looking
for one of these models, it might be worth the trip to save some bucks.

Regards and ride safe,
Todd
'46 Chief, '56 TRW, '99 Sprint