Re: brake lever excessive travel

I have found that bleeding the brakes will stiffen the lever.  I have heard of others cleaning out the exterior of the calipers thus freeing them of dust and debris, which helps.... but with time they will get "mushy" again.    I am a little stittish about using hard core chemicals near the front wheel bearings, so I will give the brake calipers a thourogh douche when I have the front wheel off for tire replacement.  What scares me is when the lever can be pulled back to the grip... or your fingers if one or two fingered braking is done.  Mine got to where I could feel the lever touching against my fingers when braking hard with two fingers... time to bleed!!!  I bled them, and the brakes stiffened up....  plus, occasional bleeding will keep the fluid new.   I have the adjusting wheel set at "1".