stalling

Had the bike stall on me once today in about 5 hours of driving. (It's still
warm here in London, but not exactly hot.)
But something more worrying still happened.
When I stopped to check directions, the bike would not start again.
I checked - no lights on, sidestand up, clutch in (anything else?) and it
still would not start. Tried turning the key back and forth in the ignition
and letting it cool down a bit. Took me ten attempts to start it - which was
worrying.
Finally managed to start it with the sidestand down, in neutral and the
clutch in.
Anyone else had this worrying moment when they thought they'd have to call
the tow-truck?

Tim