RE: RE: Dyno results

> From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On
> Behalf Of David Arnett
>
> As I understand, "brake" horsepower is measured at the
> crankshaft... thus making a rear wheel driven dyno show a
> lower number.

Brake horsepower simply refers to the way horsepower is measured -
with a brake of some sort applied to the output end of the motor. This
is to distinguish that horsepower reading from the other measures of
horsepower [1] used in calculating things like volumetric efficiency
and thermal efficiency. Brake horsepower can meaningfully be taken
from any point in the drive train, but manufacturers usually take it
at the primary pinion while the rest of the world is interested in
results at the rear wheel.

[1] Such as Indicated Horsepower (measured with pressure sensors in
the cylinder), Frictional Horsepower (difference between indicated and
brake) and the various effective pressures calculated from PV diagrams
and such.