Re: Possible ST owner

Hi Greg,
I came from 13 years on an 85 Interceptor (36k). You will find that the
ST feels like and old friend from the start. The egros are very similar
in placement as the Interceptor. I loved the Interceptor, a great all
around bike and not bad on the long haul. I just found myself longing
for something with integrated storage. The stuffing suff in the jacket
and bungy cords was wearing thin. My concern was that I would not find
that in a bike that handled any where like my trusty Interceptor. In
general the landscape was looking like the ST1100 or the Trophy. Then
what should come on the scene but the ST. That led to some investigation
into the reviews and comparisons with other bikes in it's class of which
one was the latest generation of the venerable Interceptor. Basically
the data, the reviews, performance, bags, non linked breaks, a choice
other than red or red and uniqueness of the bike made the ST my choice.

I still find my self walking up the bike with a big grin and saying "God
I love this bike!" and meaning it. I don't have one regret. In fact just
yesterday I was picking up my bike from the shop (heated grips) and
there sitting in the drive way was my on Interceptor. It had just been
purchased by a dealer in a lot of bike the shop was clearing out. There
was a fondness for an old friend but there was a new love.

Where the Interceptor had two personalities, one before 7k and one after
the ST has one from bottom to top. If you think the V4 has grunt and
pull just wait. It just pulls with out strain (2.5k and up) and goes
like greased snot. Sounds like a diesel at idle but is smooth as silk on
the road. Where you push the Interceptor into the corner the ST just
drops in and takes a set. The front dive characteristics of the
Interceptor were better though. I'm still sorting that out.

Don't ride it unless you plan on buying it! Be warned.

On service it depends upon the dealership. There are some exceptional
ones out there and there or some that are half hearted. With the two
year warrantee, I haven't had to pay for any repairs so far. I have
never been with out the bike for more than a day. Currently at 4800
miles since September. I will warn you though it doesn't like snow much.
Been there, don't do that.

- --
                                                    _
Neil Halbert                  _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/ '_) EMC Corporation
email: halbert@xxxxxxx       _/--/  _/ -'_/ _/     /__ 171 South Street
voice: (508) 435-1000 x1232 _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/       Hopkinton, MA
01748