Re: for Greg - handlebar vibration

In a message dated 16/05/00 17:17:33 GMT Daylight Time, donnydogood@xxxxxxxx
writes:

<<
         After doing some experimenting, I'm now convinced that it's a
 direct result of the angle between your hand and forearm, in other
 words the angle of your wrist, that brings on the numbness. I've also
 played with ankle angles and found certain angles that would put my
 feet to sleep. Any neurologists on the list?

                                          donnydogood   - - - o%\ >>
I'm not a neurologist, but you have signs of nerve entrapment.  The angle can
cause this, plus constant vibration can.  The nerves usually travel between
the two bones in the wrist and if this space swells with fluid, or the angle
causes pressure the nerve is compressed.  There are other conditions that
cause this, like carpal tunnel syndrome,  but as you ride a bike the style of
riding is the more likely cause.  Same principle with the ankle.  By curving
the foot inwards, you are stretching the nerve which can cause inflammation.
This also applies to the sciatic nerve - if you are sitting in a curved
foetal like position for a long time, and especially if you have a tight belt
or tight heavy leather trousers (like me who keeps growing out of my
expensive leathers), the sciatic nerve is stretched, and can leave you with
an inflamed irritated nerve and pain in one buttock and down the back of your
thigh for a while.  Ann, Kent, Britain.  Sprint ST