RE: Outranked by Major Engine Damage - the sequel

> From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
> Smith, Steven
>
> It seems as though Triumph motorcycle satisfaction runs way
> ahead of Triumph
> dealer satisfaction.  Pity.  The situation will surely
> improve with time and
> a growing market share, but that's worth spit to you now.
> Don't take their
> nonsense personally, because you know they're only covering
> for their own
> lack of competence in this matter.

So it would seem. Triumph still has the opportunity to make it right
though. It ain't over by a long shot.

> Best of luck with the Radian.  Baling wire and chewing gum
> aside, it's two wheels and lane-splitting at least.

I got it running pretty good now, actually. It's only an air-cooled
600, but it pulls pretty strong for all that. When I got it, it hadn't
ran for about 6 months and when it *did* last run it was getting
30MPG, emitting heavy black smoke at speed, and wouldn't go past about
6000RPM in any gear. It sputtered and hesitated something fierce when
you opened the throttle quickly, too. Now it gets 45MPG, doesn't smoke
at all, and pulls smoothly all the way to the redline in 6th
(~120MPH).

Remaining issues: Seat is hard and slippery, forks leak oil, shocks
would leak oil too if they had any left, springs are way soft in front
but with enough seal stiction that the forks hardly respond at all,
and it's got cheap and slippery tires on it (well, the rear is cheap
and slippery. The front is a K591). Oh, and the steering head bearings
are completely shot. I wish I could take the time to fix everything
right, but I gotta focus on the cheap and quick stuff first. Next
repair target is the front end: New fork seals and new steering head
bearings.