Brake light won't go out.

Hi Folks

Just got in from my ride and noticed that the brake light won't go out until
I remove the key or leave it in the off or lock position. It was fine before
I took off this morning, standard lighting until either brake is engaged and
then the brake light would come on (all part of the standard pre-ride
check). Now I have to go to work, and I won't be able to check it again
until tomorrow.

Any ideas on what to look for ? I'm guessing either a short or one of the
brakes is partially engaged (but this seems very unlikely - I haven't felt
any hindrance and have seen no signs of excessive brake dust). All other
lights are working normally. I tried unplugging and reconnecting the tail
lights to no avail. I didn't have time to clean the connectors so I'll do
that tomorrow. Turning the key on and off a few times didn't work either.

TIA for any hints - even if it's 'search the digest'

Cheers,
Robert Reid
'00 Black ST