RE: Neutral woes....

If the problem you describe is as reproduceable as you describe, you should
have no trouble convincing your dealer that you have a problem that needs
their immediate attention.

> Just talked to the dealer.  (Why is it that all service desks
> have the most disgruntled people answering the phones.) I'm
> going to take it by tomorrow after work and show them what's
> wrong.

BTW, this does not sound like a clutch
adjustment issue either -- I think it's the transmission.

> Ouch!

Sounds like your bike is NOT in neutral when you think it is (ie. when the
neutral light flickers like that), and that could be dangerous if it pops
into gear when you have the sidestand up and you're not ready for it.

> I've thought that too and try to keep the clutch in until the
> last moment.  I have noticed that when the light is on and I do
> let the clutch out the gearbox makes some noise.

I wouldn't worry about the rear wheel creeping while the bike is up on the
centrestand though.  I believe engine oil viscosity is causing this
phenomenon.  The oil is still being churned up by the engine and this motion
is being picked up by the drive side of your transmission.  You'll find that
if you carefully grab the rear wheel with your hand it is easy to stop (or
lightly apply brakes).  If it were actually in gear the wheel would be
spinning quite quickly, even at idle, and applying brakes will stall the
engine.

> Thanks.  Good to know this is normal.  I can stop the tire very
> easy.

In fact I wouldn't recommend running the bike in gear while it's on the
centrestand -- that would be a disaster waiting to happen!

> Point noted.

As for shifting into second, I found that the best way to cure that (other
than to put more miles on the bike) is to lower your shift lever angle a
bit.  It only takes a few minutes to adjust don't like the result you can
always change it back.

> Actually before I got the oil changed it would not shift up at
> a stop no matter how hard I pushed up.  This was always after
> coming of the highway and sitting in traffic for a bit.

> Thanks for the advice and I'll update everyone after the
> dealer looks at it.

- -Rich Lane

'00 ST