Rear Brake Wear

Hi there fellow STers

I just returned from a Memorial Day holliday to Lake Cachuma, and a BSA
Owners Club rally-Triumph being the featured mark.  When I got back, I
washed Big Red, and observed that the back brake pads were worn down to the
metal and the disc was already scored.  Darn.  Big Red has about 6800 miles
since new. Yeah, shes due for service-but I changed the oil at 4000 miles,
and thought I could wait until I returned to have the 6000 m service.  Guess
I should have paid better attention.  I didnt think that the rear pads would
wear out THAT fast, so I just didnt look.  What kind of milage is average
for rear brake pads?  So I scheduled service at the Orange County dealer for
Thursday.  The service manager thinks I was "riding" the brake pedal.
I guess thats possible-but I have been riding motorcycles since the late
50's and will be suprised if thats what happened.  Oh yeah-they dont have
any rear brake discs-will have to order one.

Regards

Burt &
Big Red