Dead-ish ST

Just an FYI for ST'ers out there.

Just finished work last Wednesday and headed out to start the beast in the
95 degree Oklahoma heat, with full Aerostich. Turned the key, idiot lights
glow (but not quite all - see later), but only a dull click of the solenoid.
Arse! The famed battery has died with the heat. (rather odd since I have it
on a tender in the evening)

Try to jump/push start it three times to no avail. Am now completely soaked
in the heat! Get some jump leads from a friendly chappie, but it makes no
difference whatsoever, still the same result.

Call a mate who will bring tools and a multimeter, but he will be awhile.
Can't stand being in the heat and not doing anything (well, I am a male
engineer after all!) so decide to strip the bike to lookasee.

Eventually get all the plastic off (first time for me) and grope around the
handlebars - nothing.

Eventually look at the alternator and see that the return ground strap torx
bolt is loose. A little tighten with the screwdriver and away she goes first
time!

Just a hint - have a look at the bolts on the alternator and also remember
that ALL the idiot lights will come on, not just the fuel and engine orange
ones. The red oil one will come on as well (separate circuit). Obviously,
these lights are not quite idiot enough to deal with the present owner!!

Finally, 2 hours later (still in the searing heat) I am riding home rather
quickly for a cold one in the pool!! (it certainly makes changed days from
my times mending broken stuff and skinning knuckles in the freezing Scottish
weather!)

I learned something that day, but not sure what!!

Norm "Scottie Dawg"
Tulsa, OK
99 Red ST
6000 miles - no real problems encountered.