Re: Speeding tickets, plea bargains, etc

Mort,
As a Police Officer, I can tell you that we make fairly good money going to
court.  In my city it's 4 hours pay per court appearance (30 minutes of our
time).  We don't get paid if someone pleads guilty.  So suggesting that you
go to court and plead not guilty may be the officer trying to cash in.  Or
maybe not.  I personally would go to court, stand before the judge and plead
guilty, explain your driving history (which means a lot) and beg for him to
either send you to a driving school (usually $35 to $100 and 4 hours of your
time) or to fine you without deducting points off your license.  The very
last thing I would do is get a lawyer for a minor ticket like yours.
- -Mike Omaha
00' Blue ST

>Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:58:47 -0500

>Subject: Speeding tickets, plea bargains, etc
>Any advice on what to do and what NOT to do would be
>greatly appreciated.  Don't so much mind a fine, but want to avoid >points
on my license if possible.