Re: Duc vs. Sprint / racing history / etc.

>> Roll ons from 60 in _top_ gear?  Doesn't seem like the real world to me.
>> Can't imagine being in anything higher than 4th gear for that.
>>
>> Mort Harries
>> '00 ST
>>
>i dont know how you could do it in third, whats the point every bike would
>do good.
>i did not invent that form of measuring, CYCLE WORLD, MOTORCYCLIST and many
>others use it. maybe they know something you don't  ;^)

I understand both sides of the argument, but it does seem to penalize a
bike that has very relaxed gearing like the ST. It also encourages the
manufacturers to put a lower top gear on the bike than really necessary if
they want to look good in the roll on tests.

As most of us already know, 5th on the ST is fine for cruising all day on
the freeway, I often forget to shift to 6th cause it doesn't change the
revs all that much, and sometimes I find I'm on the freeway doing 70 in 4th
and don't really notice it.

So logic would dictate that 6th could have been made an overdrive and
really push the gas mileage figure up, but then I'm sure the roll on number
would have really suffered.

That's the point against using the roll on as a valid test of a
motorcycle's performance. You're comparing gear ratios as much as you are
horsepower.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com