Duc vs. Sprint / racing history / etc. & Taller Wind Screen

>Roll ons from 60 in _top_ gear?  Doesn't seem like the real world to me.
Can't imagine being in anything higher than 4th gear for that.

>Mort Harries
'00 ST

Mort,
    I usually pass in top gear from 60 MPH in the real world. Why do you
need 4th? I notice a lot of guys here seem to top 200lbs. I am a relative
featherweight (?) at 180lbs. The ST snaps by cars so fast that I seldom need
to downshift unless I am going up a hill, the driver decides to stomp on it
(resistance is futile, so I don't know why they bother) or there is only a
small gap in oncoming traffic. I just tried mid-grade gas for the first time
too. I haven't noticed any pinging with regular. The beauty of this bike
that you don't have to row the gearbox all the time.
    I think it humbles car drivers to think that I can pass them with such
ease and not have to rev the engine and make lots of noise. If they see and
hear me working to get past them, they might get the idea that they have the
chance of a snowball in hell to pass me back.

>I am thinking about installing the taller wind screen on my 2000 ST. Does
it offer
that much more protection? Is it worth the expense? Should I go with an
after market product like Zero Gravity? Any answers are appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Mike MacLennan

Mike,
    I have the tall Triumph shield. I got it for $95 from Trackstar in
Minneapolis and I love it. But I live where it is rather cool (it is
supposed to snow Monday) at times. It protects well in the rain and makes a
nice envelope.  I notice a lot of people like the Zero Gravity shield
because they offer colors (Triumph only offers clear), are less expensive
and are shaped differently (I prefer the looks of mine, but that is just
me). I notice that my ST likes cooler weather. It feels stronger and shifts
better when it is cool and the heat from under the bodywork keeps me warm
even when it is cold. During the hot summer months, I sometimes wish I had
an RS with a low shield. Maybe if win the lottery...! The heated grips would
be nice (my bro' swears by them) for longer rides, but my hands seldom get
very cold, even without liners in my gloves.

Ciao,
Bob Fastner
'99 red ST

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------