RE: New Member

Mike Bostock asked:

Here are the rest of my questions:

Will it live up to my expectations/requirements?

.....I think the ST would be a wise choice given your list of requirements,
in fact it fits them perfectly.

What modifications have Triumph made in the last 18 months which could be
critical in deciding between new and 2nd hand?

....I believe (though I'm open to correction as I have a 2000 model)  that
there were recalls for a radiator problem, chain problem and fuel sender
problem. The fuel sender problem (leaking) has only just been addressed and
the new one should have been fitted in the last month or so, if not, insist
on having it done.

What faults/worn bits should I be concerned about at 7,500 miles and maybe
ask the dealer to replace?

....Brake pads can be worn at 7500 if the previous rider was heavy on them,
or did  a lot of town riding.
....Tyres should be due for renewal (if not already replaced).

Is the taller screen a 'must' for the British winter?

....Depends on your height, I'm 5' 8", 10 stone, and have the standard
screen. I stay quite dry in the rain (though heavy motorway spray causes a
problem). The wind hits me above the neck, but I only have a problem with
this going *very* fast into a head wind. Also the taller screen has been
described as ugly, and I must say, I agree. There is the option of a
zero-gravity "double-bubble" screen, people who have fitted these say it
directs the wind higher and are happy with it. (This is an American product
but has a British importer).

Any suggestions for clothing for a. the British winter and b. the fuller
figure?

....Make sure it's waterproof :-)

Lastly, are you aware that the price of new models have dropped recently and
can be picked up at good prices with 0% finance. My personal choice is to
buy new, this way you know the bike's history and can run it in properly.
There are a few ex-demos out there which were never run in at all. I can't
see the point of buying a nearly-new bike when for that little bit extra you
can have a new one.

Your going to love it.

- - Robert Wilson.
London.