Re: Catalytic converter

At 12:00 PM 11/6/00 -0700, cbybee wrote:
>told (and my research seems to bear it out), that the vapor recovery
>/charcoal canister and the "catalytic block" are the only differences in the
>California models versus the rest of the U.S. My dealer here said that there
>is no difference in F.I. tune for the California models, and that by my
>adding the "race can", I pretty much eliminated any performance penalty that
>I might have had.  I believe the catalytic block is located in the exhaust
>header and that you would have to replace that component in order to remove
>it. I think all this is the same for ST's as well.

You are correct on the differences. The catalytic brick is located in the
collector section of the header (where the three downpipes come together).
If you remove this (either by cutting it out of the pipe, or replacing it),
you will see a performance increase - similar to what you will get with the
Race Can (5-7hp).

- - Eric