Re: Turbo

Hi Jeff,

Here's a little specs on the kits. I also wrote some comments below

Stage I kit:

6psi boost = approx. 145bhp ( dyno tested )
8psi boost = approx. 158bhp ( dyno tested )

Contents:

Header, header heat shield, turbo, turbo exit pipe (ceramic coated), new air
box, K&N air filter, new oil lines, boost computer, boost gauge, boost
switch.

The nice thing about this particular kit is that you don't have to make any
modifications to the bike or engine. You just bolt on the new kit and you're
done.

Stage II:

11psi boost = approx. 180bhp (approx. same as hayabusa has on crank!)

Contents:

Same as stage I kit plus ... (no boost gauge, no boost switch)

New pistons, wrist pins, rings, cylinder liners. (all from the Daytona)
New valve springs, clutch springs, new SuperTrap exhaust

Stage III:

Under development. Should deliver approx. 200bhp.

Impressions: (Stage II kit)

FIT: (Tight, snug, no hassles, descreet)
The kit fits nice and tight. I some places, right down to millimeter
precision. The only modification that I had done was to put a little more
clearance between the ceramic coated exhaust pipe and the bodywork. Just to
make sure that it didn't cook it. Otherwise the kit fit fine.

Positive: (POWER!, descreet, steady power, kit works right from the box,
sounds great!, makes heads turn, no maintenance, "sleeper")

Well, the power is fantastic! I'm only using 9psi, approx. 165bhp. The kit
fits so well that you can't see the installation unless you look for it.
People just think I put on a new exhaust so it will sound better. But they
soon start thinking something else when I get on it. Up until the turbo
kicks in, the exhaust note sounds like an everyday aftermarket pipe. But
when the turbo kicks in, the sound just opens up wide and it's almost like
there's no pipe on her at all! I think it's also good that she's a little
louder. That way people hear me coming, (traffic safety wise). She was way
too quiet stock. There's also no maintenance needed on the turbo. Okay,
almost none. You have to change the tubo oil after a couple of seasons.

One thing I also like, and the reason I didn't buy an RS and mount it on
that, was that no one really knows that you have until you hit the throttle!
She's a real sleeper! I rode with a friend to an illegal dragrace a while
back. I didn't race but I did try her out on the abandoned air strip. While
I was testing her wings, the riders of an R1 and a Fireblade asked me, more
like told me ........ "That's not stock now is it?" I of course said no and
we started talking about the turbo. In the end they wanted to see how fast
she was compared to their bikes. So I said, sure ..... why not. Well
.........at 9psi I know that I can keep pase with an R1 and definitely beat
a Fireblade! Now that was fun to see!!!

Negative: (fuel guage, power dip, cost)

One negative point was that I had to download a Speed Triple tune in order
to get her to run the best. This meant that I lost my fuel guage. But as
everyone knows, the ST fuel gauge isn't the best anyhow. So it didn't bother
me that much that it didn't work at all. BUT, the fuel reserve light doesn't
work either! That's a little annoying. But I go after the trip meter and
have never had a problem.  The gas milage is approx. 0.63liters/mile
(european mile) 1up, approx. 0.73liters/mile 2up(with bags). It's okay by me
though. Because when you want to pass, you don't have to downshift, even
with 2up & bags!
I also have a little dip in power between 5000rpm and 5500rpm. I think it's
due to the fact that the turbo is just starting to kick in there and the
boost computer doesn't quite keep up the pase. But after that, it's solid
power right up to the red line. And believe me when I say that the red line
comes way too quick!

But I'm going to contact Brian from "Turbo Connection" and see if we can
iron out these bugs.

So ......... was that enough information about the turbo on a ST? If not,
just mail me at kyle.rocke@xxxxxxxxx and I'll try to answer your remaining
questions.

Ride hard ............Ride safe!

Kyle