Fuel Gauge/Warning Light accuracy

I ran my ST low on fuel on purpose today to see what sort of range I'm
getting out of a tank. I found that the fuel warning light came on at about
230km. However I have got an aftermarket exhaust on which I'm having trouble
with (see efi post). This range was with relatively hard riding but not
tearing up mountain roads. Just riding to work etc. and using the power when
able.

When I filled the bike up I found that the tank only took 16l despite the
fuel warning light having been on for about 10km.

Are the warning light and gauge adjustable? Has anyone else had any similar
experiences?

Thanks,

Phil
'00 ST