Re: EFI Remapping (also Long)

Phil,

It may be possible if the exhaust is too big that you will loose power
everywhere except top end. However in this instance I hope you are only
losing power due to the mixture & or timing not being ideal for your new
combination, ie: it is running way too lean due to less back pressure &
better breathing. The less back pressure the better, providing you can get
the mixture right & not make too much noise.

I have never been able to contact FIM either, good luck.

I dont think you need a new 'chip'. This is only for when the one you have
cannot be reprogrammed. The one in your bike can be reprogrammed ( as you
have seen by downloading the new tuneup ). The problem is that rather than
being able to custom program yours to suit, the only option is to download
some other maps made available by Triumph. What you need is yours to be
reprogrammed to suit, either by downloading an appropriate available map or
finding a way to reprogram the whole thing as required.

When I had my first service done, I asked the workshop at Peter Stevens
about reprogramming the ECU & they led me to believe they could not only
download other existing maps, but also change the mixture throughout the
range (eg: richen it up by a certain percentage) if necessary. They may not
know what they are talking about though, I would not be surprised. They are
far too busy trying to take all your money to actually listen to what you
are saying.

If this cannot be done, perhaps you could try other available programs ? eg
a Daytona one (standard or for modified exhaust). Be aware you may lose
your fuel gauge & be careful if the revlimit is increased as the Daytona
has better pistons & rods. Another option is to buy something like a
Unichip?, a device that fits between the ECU & sensors & can modify the
fuel & timing settings somehow, probably by interfering with the values
from the input sensors. This would probably have to be custom programmed on
a dyno. I have tried to find how to reprogram this Sagem unit on the 'net
but havent had any luck at all.

A less restrictive exhaust has the potential to improve fuel economy if it
is running the same mixture & is ridden in the same manner as the standard
one.

Good Luck,

Darren.