lane-splitting in TX, the official word

From: "Burdette, Clifton" <clif.burdette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 11/09/2000
09:21:
To: "'Jim Huber'" <jhuber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Sherman, E. C." <ec.sherman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim:  There are no Texas Traffic Laws prohibiting lane splitting, nor are
there any allowing it.  In other words Texas Traffic Law is silent on the
issue.  When I spoke with Major Sherman in our Traffic Law Enforcement
Division, I was told that since there are no laws prohibiting lane
splitting, it can be done.  Now, here is the rest of the story.  Every time
a rider, while lane splitting or at any other time, crosses from one side of
the white dotted line to the other, they must signal or face a possible
improper lane changing citation.  If a rider is involved in a crash because
an auto changes lanes while the rider is attempting to split between the
vehicles, the motorcyclist could be at fault because they did not control
their vehicle.  And then there is the problem of being cited for driving too
fast for conditions because you were operating at an unsafe speed, in the
eyes of the officer, while in congested traffic.

The bottom line, yes you can split lanes, however use caution.  When I was
in California, we addressed lane splitting this way.

1.  Keep your eyes open and your mind active.  When lane splitting, be extra
cautious because of your extremely close proximity to other moving vehicles.
2.  Keep your speed down.  If traffic is moving at 30 MPH or more, ride with
traffic.  If traffic is moving slower than that, go ahead and split lanes
but keep within 5 MPH of the existing traffic.
3.  Always use their turn signals when changing lanes (crossing the white
dotted line).
4.  Always, always give other traffic the right of way.

Good Luck and remember that a driver angry at one motorcyclist because they
split lanes may take out their rage on another unsuspecting motorcyclist.
Have a great day.

Clif Burdette
Coordinator
Motorcycle Safety Unit