re: fixing brake diving

>  From: Jan and Don Draper <ddraper@xxxxxxxxxxx>, on 11/15/2000 18:47:
>  Short of changing the fork springs all you can to is run
>  the preload as high as you can accept the tradeoffs.
>
>  When I adjusted the suspension and tire pressures on
>  my RS the dive under braking improved a great deal.
>
>  The suspension bits on the ST are supposed to be superior.
>
>  The dive on my RS really isn't bad at all; so you should be
>  able to adjust your ST to where it's not an issue.
>
>  -Don

Well, here's the options I'm considering, in order of increasing cost:

	1. Crank the preload up the rest of the way.
	Problem is, it gets "bouncy". I was thinking of putting thicker oil in
the forks for more damping, then maybe I could stand the extra preload.

	2. Swap the springs for stiffer springs, preferably progressive or
multi-rate springs.
	Again, probably will need thicker oil, too. Possibly considerable time
investment finding just the right ones.

	3. Do the RaceTech upgrade.
	Rick Paukert lives about 20 minutes from me and he's done it. I haven't
yet had a chance to swap bikes with him, though, to see how I like it. Probably
the best bang for the buck and I'd probably be really happy with it.

	4. Completely new forks. Unfortunately, Ohlins doesn't make any of
their super cool forks for the ST. I haven't been able to track down contact
info for Showa or Kayaba, who make fully adjustable conventional forks. My
dealer tells me inverted forks require more frequent rebuilds, so the
conventional is better anyway unless you're riding right on the ragged edge.
Now, if I were doing that I'd get the new GSX-R1000 in March and be done with
it. Hmmm, I wonder if Givi makes a 3 bag set for a GSX-R? Just kidding.

	Jim