Re: Autocom systems

> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:06:29 -0000
> From: "David McCarthy"
> C.	Autocom
> Anyone out there have experiences/recommendations with any of the above

Dave,

I've been using the Autocom Pro-3000 (the antecedent of the Pro-M1 - same
box) for a couple of seasons now.

The performance is as good as any on the market (I used to have a German
'Baehr AVC-13' which was good put prone to malfunction when damp, and have
tried the 'speaking tube' Backchat, which was crap).

My wife finds that the Autocom will not vox (if that's a verb) very easily
(she's very softly spoken), nor will it hold the channel open if there's
only her speaking, both of which are a bit annoying. She uses a wide and
imaginative range of farmyard noises to vox - the sheep being the most
successful (no, neither of us is Welsh). I suggest you test both yourself
and your partner on the equipment demos available in most dealers. I would
say that if it works easily in still air, you'll be okay on the move.

Re mounting, I've placed the black box and the transformer under the seat in
the tool tray (tools in the top-box). It's not mounted, just loose. Leads to
the headsets are then cable-tied onto the sub-frame around the front and
middle of the seat. I've wired the Autocom into a switched circuit: the
transformer negative (W) is fitted with an eye, and attached to the battery
'-'; the positive (W/Bk) is attached to the O/Gr wire out of fuse 4 (you'll
have to remove the fuse set to get at this - just prise out the fuse box)
using a cable interceptor (or whatever they're called), this piggy-backs a
new wire onto an existing wire. This line is 10A, so can well support the
load of the intercom, and is only active when the ignition's switched on.

Hope this helps,

BRG